Monday, July 31, 2017

Hopkinsville, KY: Eclipseville


Mural: Greetings from Eclipseville
New mural in Hopkinsville celebrates
the August 21 eclipse

In case you haven't heard, North America will experience a total solar eclipse on Monday, August 21, 2017. And Hopkinsville, Kentucky, is the place where the eclipse will last the longest.

Our local officials tell us that visitors will be coming here from all over the world and around the nation -- scientists, sun-worshippers, and adventurers of all sorts. How many visitors? Estimates vary from 50,000 to 200,000.

Every law enforcement officer in the county will be working, with backup support from the Kentucky National Guard and Kentucky Emergency Management. Medical facilities will be staffed to the max. Stores and restaurants are bracing for big crowds and hoping for big profits. School will be dismissed for two days. Some non-essential workplaces will close for the day because of the heavy traffic that's expected.

Hopkinsville mural
Eclipseville mural
Months ago, I asked for a week off that included the eclipse, so I don't have to work. (My co-workers are not so fortunate.) My husband and I are planning to stay home until it's over. We have our eclipse glasses, and we can watch it from our own yard. I'm going to get my groceries a couple of weeks in advance while supplies are still good, and I'm going to keep my gas tank full.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts