Friday, May 29, 2020

Add Zip Tie "Boning" to a Face Mask

First, let me say that full credit for the amazing, wonderful idea of a ziptie boning goes to Renée Thompson McCloud.  Please see her videos on YouTube

The purpose of the zip-tie boning is to keep the fabric and center seam of the face mask arched so the mask will not collapse toward the nose and mouth as you breathe.

I was so excited when I read about a ziptie boning in a mask! I joined Renée's Facebook group, Zippy Mask Support, and, after some study there, I tried putting the ziptie in the front seam allowance (as many Zippie maskmakers do.) That didn't go well for me, but I was determined. I decided I could make a casing for the boning down the center seam, instead.

When I posted a photo of a mask I had made with the ziptie in a casing, several people asked me to do a video. That would be a steep learning curve for me. It was easier to just make this tutorial.  

I attach the boning to the lining of the mask only. If the boning holds the lining back from the face, it will also hold the front of the mask away from the face. There is no need to sew it through both layers.

Here is how I make the casing for the ziptie.

On one of the two lining pieces, baste a line from top to bottom along the front edge of the face mask.  Use a long stitch for the basting so it will be easy to pull out later.


With rights sides together, sew the center seam of the lining with 1/4" seam allowance. Below, you see the basting line on the left and the completed center seam on the right.


Trim the center seam slightly with pinking shears, or clip out a series of small triangles, so the lining can assume the shape of the curve more easily.



Then take the lining to the ironing board, and press the center seam to one side. Bring it back to the sewing machine. Working with the wrong side up, stitch down the seam edges, staying close to the seam line.


 Below, you see the front of the lining. From left to right, there is the stitching line from when I sewed down the seam edges, the center seam, and the basting line that will be my guide in the next step.


Now it's time to apply the ribbon to the lining. I like to use 3/8" grosgrain ribbon which is very sturdy and just the right size.

Fold over the edge of the ribbon and hand stitch it a little on the edges of the fold to hold it. Then, working on the right side of the lining, center the ribbon over the center seam of the lining.  I place the folded edge of the ribbon about 3/4 inch down from the top. I need to leave room for the top seam where I will insert a nose piece later, and I will also need enough room to do the top stitching when I turn the mask right side out.


The basting line is a guide to help keep the ribbon centered on the seam.  Stitch down one side, across the bottom, and back up the other side. Be sure to back-stitch at the beginning and end of this stitching. Keep the stitching very close to the edge of the ribbon. Leave the casing open at the top so you can insert the zip tie later.


Now it's time to pull out the line of basting. Its work is done. You can see that the ribbon hides any wobbly stitching I did when sewing down the edges of the lining.

Complete the mask as usual. 



After I have sewed the mask front to the lining, I will turn the mask right side out, I'll press it well and then top-stitch the bottom of the mask.

Then, I'll insert the zip tie into the casing to see what length is needed for the mask. The boning needs to end just a tad below where I will top-stitch the top of the mask. I will trim the zip tie to size, push it to the bottom of the ribbon casing as tightly as possible and add a hand stitch or two to keep it in place, if needed.

Next, I'll push the nose piece tightly against the top seam of the mask and add a short line of hand basting to hold it there. Then I'll do the top-stitching along the top of the mask, being very careful as I sew across the center seam between the nose piece and the boning.. This is the most exciting part of the whole process! (Ha!)   

Ideally, the topstitching will catch the folded edge of the ribbon and close the casing.  If that doesn't happen, I'll add a few stitches by hand to close it.

Here is a completed mask, using this technique.  I hope this proves helpful to someone. Let me know in the comments if you try it.




11 comments:

  1. Thank you! Your explanation was very well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope it encourages you to give it a try!

      Delete
  2. Thanks!!! That helped me a lot!!!
    Great instructions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy to hear that it was helpful! It's an extra bit of tedious work, but so worth it to breathe better in these goofy masks we have to wear.

      Delete
  3. Nice job. Are you doing this on kids' masks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried it on a kid's mask, but I think it would be a good idea, and there's no reason it wouldn't work. I don't usually put nosepieces in children's masks, so the boning would go from the bottom top-stitching line to the top top-stitching line.

      Delete
  4. Thank you, I'm hoping to try this today. Please let me know how far away from the top edge you do your tops titch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is all going to depend on whether you are inserting a nose piece and how wide it is. The nose piece I use is approximately a quarter inch wide, and I make a casing for it in the top seam allowance. To allow room for that, I make the top seam a scant 1/2" from the edge. When I turn the mask right side out, I do the top-stitch for the top about 3/8" from the edge. All of this means that the ribbon should start about 3/4" down from the top -- for me. That way, I will catch the top of the ribbon in the top-stitching and close the zip-tie tunnel.

      Delete
  5. It's wonderful to see you post again! Thank you for the instructions on the mask. Bless you and all the others who are making masks. You are doing the Lord's work by selflessly making these for those in need. Miss your postings. Would love to see more of your postings and lovely rug work in the future. Wishing you a most lovely day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stitchy, here is a Facebook photo album that has a lot of the rugs I've made. Crocheted Rugs album

      Delete
  6. Stitchy, I just haven't been moved to post for a while. I am looking forward to the day when I can stop making facemasks and go back to making rugs, believe me!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts