Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Recent Rag Rugs

Rugmaking has become one of my great passions these last few years. These are a few of the rugs I made this last winter.  As always, you can click on these photos to enlarge them.

Crocheted rag rug in rainbow colors
Rag rug in rainbow colors

This rug has the colors of the rainbow -- ROY G. BIV (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet.) It's a little weak in the orange and yellow section since I'm saving everything I have in those colors for kitchen rugs I'm making for my daughter-in-law next.

I experimented with several new-to-me techniques in this rug.  I used two narrow strips of fabric as the "yarn" throughout the rug, rather than a single strip like usual. This made the transitions from one color to the next easy.

Since the strips were an inch or less in width, I didn't attempt to fold in the raw edges as I usually do, so the rug surface is more thready than what I usually prefer.  I also joined the fabric strips by slit-knots, rather than sewing them together as usual. I don't think knotting is any faster than sewing (with the machine.) But I do see that it's easy to carry my rug-making with me whenever I leave the house, if I don't need sewed-together strips.

The two rugs at left, below, were made in my customary style -- fabric strips sewed together and raw edges turned in. These rugs reside on my daughter's back porch. The rug at right, below, includes remnants from the other two.  It was photographed in different light, but actually, it's a mate, more or less.  I gave it to my daughter as well.

I'm not sure why I was so determined to get rid of every scrap of those fabrics, but it seemed logical at the time. To me, these three rugs will always remind me of my husband's sinus surgery as that was the period of time in which I made them. I don't mean that they are sad rugs. My husband's sinus surgery was a great success, and he's feeling better than he has for a long time.

Green rag rugs
Two of a set of rag rugs
Oval rag rug with green, beige, and navy
The third rug of the set

4 comments:

  1. The rugs looks awesome. I know what you mean about how the crafty things we make we associate them with what is happening in our lives at the time. In a real way the things we make become a scrapbook of our lives. I look forward to seeing more of your lovely rugs. Wishing you a lovely day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Stitchy. I enjoy making them. I hope my love for rugmaking continues long enough to make a dent in the rug-making fabric stash I have accumulated. And here's the irony -- I started making rugs to decrease my stash. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always loved your Prairie Bluestem blog and I'm sure I will enjoy this one too. I love the rugs you are making! My extra time, when I am not painting, is taken up with Knitting. I will be back to visit. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping in, Sunny. I took a look at your painting blog! I love your chickens, but I can't have any more chicken stuff. :D God bless you, too!

      Delete

Popular Posts