Friday, August 18, 2017

Sunflowers and Seasons

Fall flowers and jack-o'lanterns
Autumn decor
I am done with summer for this year. August hasn't been quite as torrid as usual, but I'm ready for fall to arrive. I'm looking forward to cool days and crunchy leaves on the ground, pumpkin pie and hearty soups -- and right before Thanksgiving, retirement from my job. It will be the beginning of a new season of my life.

I saw these sunflowers at the Kroger in Murray, KY. They are a refreshing change from the ubiquitous mums of autumn. My daughter-in-law loves sunflowers, so I snapped this picture and sent it to her on my phone. Seconds later, she texted back: "Those are beautiful!!!"

Sunflowers are easy to start from seed, and they look so cheery when they bloom. And when the flowers fade, the birds love eating the seeds from the heads. What a fabulous flower!

Maybe I'll plant some sunflowers next spring. And some dillweed for the gold finches and the black swallowtails. And also, milkweed for the monarchs. A few tomato and pepper plants for us. Maybe a hill of zucchini. These are the flowery, seedy, gardening daydreams of a woman who is looking forward to retirement.
__________

I wrote about growing dill in 2006. You might enjoy reading that post on my old blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts